7 Anti-Aging Facial Exercises To Tighten Skin
To develop a tighter, leaner, stronger body, we all know that we need to exercise regularly and eat healthy. So, using that same logic, we should also be able to tone our skin and reverse signs of aging by building and stimulating our facial muscles through fitness for our face, or facial exercises.
This very concept was examined in a recent study, which had two main objectives:
1.) To determine the association of a facial muscle exercise program with the appearance of the face and neck.
2.) To measure participant satisfaction with facial appearance before and after completion of the facial exercise program.
At the conclusion of the 20-week study, researchers found that participants’ upper and lower cheek fullness improved, and that the estimated age of the participants also decreased.
So, for those of you who are eager to get rid of your fine lines and wrinkles, but are scared of (or turned off by) invasive treatments involving injections or lasers, facial exercises might be a good, natural way for you to keep your skin firm and looking young!
Benefits Of Facial Exercises
Research has shown that facial exercises, or face yoga, may be effective in improving the structural appearance of your face by toning and strengthening your facial muscles, which may also help you look younger.
Some other potential benefits of facial exercises, according to face yoga practitioners, are the ability to control your facial muscles, promote proper nostril breathing, firm your neckline, reduce the appearance of dark circles under your eyes, correct sagging, make your face more symmetrical, and increase blood circulation to make your skin glow.
It’s also believed that facial exercises may improve your confidence, generate positive emotions, and make your face less rounded. However, more research and studies are still needed to validate all these potential claims.
7 Facial Exercises To Tighten And Tone Your Skin
Now that you know some of the benefits of facial exercises, here are seven facial yoga moves that you can add to your daily anti-aging routine. Best of all, you can do each of these facial yoga exercises from the comfort of your own home – no equipment required!
Reason To Do This Facial Exercise: To tighten and tone the skin around your eyes.
1. Start by pressing both of your middle fingers together at the inner corner of your eyebrows. Then with your index fingers, apply pressure to the outer corners of your eyebrows so that you’re making a ‘V’ shape between your eyebrows with your fingers.
2. Next, look to the ceiling, and lift the skin below your eyes upwards into a strong squint. Then relax.
3. Repeat this facial yoga move six more times and finish by squeezing your eyes shut tightly for 10 seconds.
Reason To Do This Facial Exercise: To tighten and tone the skin around the outer edges of your eyes.
1. Place the pad of your right thumb on the bone located at the outer corner of your right eye. Then place the pad of your left thumb on the bone located at the outer corner of your left eye.
2. Without moving your head, look up and gently press both thumbs in towards your eyes.
3. Flutter your eyelids for five seconds, and then release.
4. Take a quick break and then repeat the exercise. Do this exercise three times total.
Reason To Do This Facial Exercise: To tighten and tone the skin around your eyebrows.
1. Place your three middle fingers on your right hand underneath your right eyebrow. Then place your three middle fingers on your left hand underneath your left eyebrow.
2. Push your eyebrows straight up while looking straight ahead, and use your forehead muscles to push down against your fingertips that are holding up your eyebrows.
3. Count to seven and then close your eyes for three more seconds, while keeping your eyebrows high and anchored.
4. Relax and then repeat this upper-eye exercise two more times.
Reason To Do This Facial Exercise: To tighten and tone the skin around your cheeks.
1. Start by making an ‘O’ shape with your mouth – hiding your teeth with your lips.
2. Then smile widely, while keeping your teeth hidden. Repeat this six times.
3. After that, hold the smile shape, while placing one index finger on your chin. Then move your jaw up and down as your head tilts gently back.
4. Relax, and then repeat The Smile Smoother facial exercise two more times.
Reason To Do This Facial Exercise: To tighten and tone the skin around your forehead.
1. Place your first two fingers of both your hands on your forehead along your hairline.
2. Then press your fingers firmly into your skin and slide them down toward your eyebrows.
3. At the same time, raise your eyebrows.
4. Hold for 10 seconds, and breathe in deeply.
5. Complete this facial exercise three times, holding for 20 seconds on the last rep.
6. Then take a break and repeat this sequence one more time.
Reason To Do This Facial Exercise: To tighten and tone the skin around your chin and neck.
1. While looking straight ahead, place your fingertips at the bottom of your neck. Then lightly stroke your skin downwards with your head tilted back.
2. Bring your head back down to your chest and repeat two more times.
3. To complete this facial exercise, jut your lower lip out as far as possible to pull the corners of your mouth down. Then place your fingertips on your collarbone with your chin pointing upwards. Hold for four deep breaths.
4. Take a short break, then repeat this facial yoga move two more times.
Reason To Do This Facial Exercise: To tighten and tone the skin around your jaw and neck.
1. Begin by opening your mouth and making an ‘Aah!’ sound.
2. Then fold your lower lip, and the corners of your lips, into your mouth. Hold tightly as you extend your lower jaw forward.
3. Using your lower jaw, scoop up slowly as you close your mouth, pulling your chin up about an inch every time that you scoop and tilt your head backward.
4. Then open and close your lower jaw 10 times.
5. On the tenth and final scoop, hold the position of your chin – pointing to the ceiling or sky – for 20 seconds. Think about the sides of your face lifting as you do this.
6. Take a quick break, and then repeat this Jaw and Neck Firmer exercise two more times.
How Often Should You Perform These Facial Exercises?
Facial fitness experts recommend doing facial exercises six days a week for at least three months. Near the end of the three months, your face should be looking a lot younger and you’ll only need to do your facial exercises three times each week from then on.
Do Facial Exercises Really Work?
Since everyone (and every face!) is different, the amount of time it takes to see results from face yoga will vary from person to person. Usually, you can expect to start seeing results from face yoga after six to ten weeks of 15 to 20 minute sessions done six (or seven) days a week.
Want to tighten and tone your skin without having to commit to a daily facial exercise routine? Give our Toute Nuit Trial Pack a try! It allows you to experience our Y-shape, Triangle, and Curve shape facial wrinkle flattening patches, which target forehead wrinkles, frown lines, crow’s feet, laugh lines, perioral wrinkles, and marionette lines while you sleep.